nmdart.com

nmdart.com

1.13.2016

13 of 30 Four-tooth Nerite


Baby Teeth (Four-tooth Nerite)
4" X 6"
Watercolor
$75

The teeth on these shells make me smile. They resemble that phase where a child only has 6 or 8 teeth with spaces between. This particular specimen has bright magenta markings. It seemed an obvious choice to play off this for the background color.

There are a lot of nerites on rocks on the gulf side of Key West. The often get left out of the water at low tide, but fortunately for them, they have a "door" that they can close to protect themselves. They eat algae, which is a good thing. I'm happy to have them around.

1 comment:

Laurie Mueller said...

I love the analogy of the kid's teeth, Nancy!
And your skill with these shells makes me appreciate them. I will look at shells differently from now on.