nmdart.com

nmdart.com

9.20.2016

Day #4 and #5 of 5: Great Yellow Mormon

Have you missed me? I've been out of town taking down my exhibit, Natural Focus, that has been up since late June at the Johnson Center for the Arts. I took a leisurely trip home, visiting friends, shelling on Sanibel and Captiva islands, and taking an airboat ride in the Everglades! I'm home now and back in the studio, albeit five days behind in my goals for the #thirtyinthirty #30in30 painting challenge.

To get back on schedule, I will be posting days #1 and #2 of each remaining painting together (the sketch and the first wash). I will also combine days #4 and #5 to show the finished painting, the reference photos and a slideshow along with a quick slideshow and information about the butterfly, until I've caught up.

Here is the completed painting for the Great Yellow Mormon:


Sunset Ladies
11" X 14"
$230


This butterfly species is dimorphic. That means that that males and females look different. There is a lot of variation even between females, which the two in the painting are. They are found in the forests of the Philippines, Borneo and Indonesia. It is also called the Sunset Swallowtail and the Asian Swallowtail.

Below is a slideshow video of the paintings development and below that, the reference photos that I started the painting with...




No comments: