nmdart.com

nmdart.com

9.13.2016

Day #3 of 5: Great Yellow Mormon


It seems that the last two paintings I've worked at least some on the butterfly/butterflies by this point, but today was all about working on the background via negative painting.

If you are not familiar with negative painting, it is a technique where you paint around a shape rather than paint the shape itself (the negative space), in this case, the fern leaves. I plan to add additional layers going under the fern leaves that are there already. I find this method gives depth to a painting in a way that my old background methods never did.

I will be painting back into the leaves as I get further along. I'm not sure if that will be before or after I remove the masking fluid yet, but I think it is coming along well. See you tomorrow!


No comments: