nmdart.com

nmdart.com

3.22.2006

Plein Air Painting and Paint Outs

I recall in art history classes studying the Impressionists and learning about plein air painting. I suppose that ever since that time, artists have worked in this manner. Not being a landscape painter per se, I have given this subject little thought until recently.

One day at the studio, a friend asked me if I had ever heard of a paint out. I had not. She proceed to tell me that there has been a resurgence in this method and a friend of hers in California had been attending them and said she MUST try it. We talked a while about how different this would be for us, considering that printmakers aren't often producing art out of doors; not many presses are sitting in the center of the park!

Yesterday as I was leaving the studio, I caught sight of a flyer titled ArtFest. I picked it up and noticed that there is going to be a Plein Air Paint Out here in the town where I live in about ten days. Artists will meet at 10am and paint until noon. At that time they will gather for lunch and informal critique.

I just may try it. Who knows.....it could my new thing! Just kidding, but it sounds like fun and a great way to spend a few hours outside. (Tip from those who have done it. Bring bug spray!)

No comments: