nmdart.com

nmdart.com

4.26.2014

The Next (Big?) Thing

I look admiringly at people who are able to stick to size or style or medium over an extended period of time. I was unable to make myself stick to the same size for even a few weeks during January's 30 in 30 Challenge. I know that I am not alone in this. My studio partner paints both abstracts and landscapes. He is currently teaching an abstract class and told me that he always wants to do the opposite of what he is teaching.

Since February, I've been painting in watercolor. No acrylics. No printmaking. On March first, I put alcohol inks away too. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE watercolor. It is probably my favorite thing to paint with. But, for me at least, it is a bit like the thought of eating only your favorite meal every day. I still like it, but I have been dreaming of paint abstractly in acrylic, or working on a new printmaking series.

My watercolor show has been painted and all of the new pieces have been framed. I have two commissions to complete and then, I will begin my new series...

I've been taking photos with my phone while driving and occasionally riding in a car or metro. (Don't freak out. Traffic crawls here and I'm not trying to take good pictures. In fact, the worse they come out the better.) Here are images that are inspiring me to paint a series. I haven't decided what size, but not small. I have no idea if I will even be able to match the finished works back to the photos, but it gives me a starting point for expression!


















No comments: